Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Our Country

To all who hope for Freedom's gleam
  Across the warring years,
Who offer life to build a dream
  In laughter or in tears,
To all who toil, unmarked, unknown,
  By city, field or sea,
I give my heart, I reach my hand,
A common hope, a common land
  Is made of you and me.

For we have loved her summer dawns
  Beyond the misty hill,
And we have shared her toil, her fruit
  Of farm and shop and mill.
Our weaknesses have made her shame,
  Our strength has built her powers,
And we have hoped and we have striven
That to her children might be given
  A fairer world than ours.

We dreamed to hold her safe, apart
  From strife; the dream was vain.
Her heart is now earth's bleeding heart,
  She shares the whole earth's pain.
To men oppressed in all the lands
  One flashing hope has gone,
One vision wide as earth appears,
We seek, across the warring years,
  The gray world's golden dawn.

--Anna Louise Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment