Thursday, April 22, 2010

What If I Say--

What If I say--
  "The Bible is God's Holy Word,
Complete, inspired, without a flaw"--
  But let its pages stay
Unread from day to day,
And fail to learn therefrom God's law;
What if I go not there to seek
  The truth of which I glibly speak,
  For guidance on this earthly way,--
  Does it matter what I say?

What if I say
  That Jesus Christ is Lord divine;
  Yet fellow-pilgrims can behold
  Naught of the Master's love in me,
  No grace of kindly sympathy?
  If I am of the Shepherd's fold,
  Then shall I know the Shepherd's voice
  And gladly make his way my choice.
We are saved by faith, yet faith is one
With life, like daylight and the sun.
Unless they flower in our deeds,
  Dead, empty husks are all the creeds.
  To call Christ, Lord, but strive not to obey,
  Belies the homage that with words I pay.

--Maud Frazer Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment