Friday, April 9, 2010

God's Ways

I asked for grace to lift me high
  Above the world's depressing cares;
God sent me sorrows,--with a sigh
  I said, "He has not heard my prayers."

I asked for light, that I might see
  My path along life's thorny road;
But clouds and darkness shadowed me
  When I expected light from God.

I asked for peace, that I might rest
  To think my sacred duties o'er,
When, lo! such horrors filled my breast
  As I had never felt before.

"And, oh," I cried, "can this be prayer
  Whose plaints the steadfast mountains
    move?
Can this be Heaven's prevailing care?
  And, O my God, is this Thy love?"

But soon I found that sorrow, worn
  As Duty's garment, strength supplies,
And out of darkness meekly borne
  Unto the righteous light doth rise.

And soon I found that fears which stirred
  My startled soul God's will to do,
On me more lasting peace conferred
  Than in life's calm I ever knew. . . .

--Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment