Wednesday, February 3, 2010

[BOOKS]: Pt. 4

   Nothing of book-hunting love has
been more happily expressed than
"The Bibliomaniac's Prayer."

But if, O Lord, it pleaseth Thee
To keep me in temptation's way,
I humbly ask that I may be
Most notably beset today,
Let my temptation be a book,
Which I shall purchase, hold and keep,
Whereon, when other men shall look
They'll wail to know I got it cheap.
                                 --Eugene Field

Field on bookplates:

  "I have heard many decried who indulged
their fancy for bookplates as if, forsooth,
if a man loved his books, he should not
lavish upon them testimonials of affection!
Who that loves his wife should hesitate to
buy adornments for her person? I favor
everything that tends to prove that the hu-
man heart is swayed by the tenderer emo-
tions. Gratitude is surely one of the noblest
emotions of which humanity is capable, and
he is indeed unworthy of our respect who
would forbid humanity's expressing in every
dignified and reverential manner its gratitude
for the benefits conferred by the companion-
ship of books.
  As for myself, I urge upon all lovers of
books to provide themselves with book-
plates. Whenever I see a book that bears
its owner's plate, I feel myself obligated to
treat that book with special consideration. It
carries with it a certificate of its master's love;
the bookplate gives the volume a certain stat-
us it would not otherwise have. Time and a-
gain I have fished musty books out of bins in
front of bookstalls, bought them and borne
them home with me simply because they had
upon their covers the bookplates of their form-
er owners. I have a case filled with these arist-
ocratic estrays, and I insist that they shall be
as carefully dusted and kept as my other books,
and I have provided in my will for their perpet-
ual maintenance after my decease."
                                 --Eugene Field

Bibliomaniac's Bride

Prose for me when I wished for prose,
Verse when to verse inclined,
Forever bringing sweet repose
To body, heart and mind.
Oh, I should bind this priceless prize
In bindings full and fine,
And keep her where no human eyes
Should see her charms, but mine!
                               --Eugene Field

No comments:

Post a Comment