Monday, January 20, 2014

Crowded Ways of Life

[Written in reply to The House by the Side
    of the Road, by Sam Walter Foss.]

'Tis only a half truth the poet has sung
   Of the "house by the side of the way."
Our Master had neither a house nor a home,
   But He walked with the crowd day by day.
And I think, when I read of the poet's desire,
   That a house by the road would be good;
But service is found in its tenderest form
   When we walk with the crowd in the road.

So I say, Let me walk with the men in the road,
   Let me seek out the burdens that crush,
Let me speak a kind word of good cheer to the weak
   Who are falling behind in the rush.
There are wounds to be healed, there are breaks we must mend,
   There's a cup of cold water to give;
And the man in the road by the side of his friend
   Is the man who has learned to live.

Then tell me no more of the house by the road;
   There is only one place I can live--
It's there with the men who are toiling along,
   Who are needing the cheer I can give.
It is pleasant to live in the house by the way
   And be a friend, as the poet has said;
But the Master is bidding us: "Bear ye their load,
   For your rest waiteth younder ahead."

I could not remain in the house by the road
   And watch as the toilers go on,
Their faces beclouded with pain and with sin,
   So burdened their strength nearly gone.
I'll go to their side, I'll speak in good cheer,
   I'll help them to carry their load;
And I'll smile at the man in the house by the way,
   Too happy for such an abode.
And my heart sings its praise to the Master of all,
   Who is helping me serve in the road.

                              ~ Walter S. Gresham

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful and powerful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete